Dream dough is one of our go-to recipes at the Children’s Museum of South Dakota because of how easy it is to make and how fun it is to play with! The recipe we use only calls for two ingredients; however, feel free to add additional color with food coloring or glitter for sparkly dream dough!
Dream Dough has two qualities that are really calming to children. It engages the sense of smell in a unique way compared to other homemade dough recipes. Whatever conditioner scent you choose will fill the room with a light aroma. A favorite scent at the museum is Strawberry & Cream. Dream Dough also has a soft texture that’s smooth to the touch. The combination of a soothing scent and smooth texture is naturally calming to children.
Here are a few ways to explore Dream Dough with children:
- Engage in pretend play by pretending to cook or creating characters.
- Use dream dough to tell a story.
- Teach skills such as cutting and rolling.
- Practice making letters or numbers out of the dough.
- Compare and contrast objects (ex. My snowman is big; Your snowman is little.)